contact +27 21 8135868             contact travel@toursa.com

TourSA are sales representatives for KZN Wildlife
at no extra cost to to our clients

TourSA are sales representatives for KZN Wildlife

Howick  In  South Africa  

Accommodation in Howick

Howick

To its early Zulu inhabitants, the area was known as Kwa Nogqaza - "The Place of the Tall One". In 1849, the Wesleyan Missionary James Archbell bought three farms above the northern bank of the Umgeni River. Title deeds of the original plots simply named the area "The Village on the Umgeni Waterfall". Archbell was a man of many talents (including being a newspaper editor, and the Mayor of Pietermaritzburg) and never actually lived on any of his plots. In 1850, the river crossing on the route to the north was moved to the dangerous (but more convenient) spot at the top of the Falls. It was a beautiful, but treacherous spot, and many travellers and wagons were swept over the falls. With the increase in traffic to the north, the Government decided to establish a village at the crossing, and purchased part of James Archbell's farm. In choosing a name for the new town, Government officials decided to honour their Secretary of State for the Colonies in London. He was Earl Grey, and had recently acquired the title of Lord Howick. With the growth of the town, it was not long before the spectacular drop of the Umgeni River became known as the "Howick Falls". Many locals view the falls as the town's most prized asset.
  • Howick Falls - Known to the Zulu people as 'KwaNogqaza' - 'the place of the tall one'. Here from a viewsite above the falls, you can see the cascade of the Umgeni River tumbling 95m into the gorge below.
  • Umgeni Valley Nature Reserve - magnificent sandstone cliffs fall sheer from gentle grasslands at the 656ha Umgeni Valley Nature Reserve, home of giraffes, zebras, Wildebeest, Kudu, Nyala, Impala and a variety of other mammals.
  • Howick Museum - A well-documented look at the history of the Lions River district and Howick itself, including period costumes and antique British military insignia.
  • Laager wall - A near-intact laager wall built in 1879 as protection against an imminent Zulu attack after the fearsome Battle of Isandlwana.
  • Military Cemetary - 64 British and 84 Boer graves lie in grounds used both as a military hospital and concentration camp during the Anglo-Boer War.
  • War Memorial - Commemorates victims of WW1 & WW2.