Lotheni is situated in a remote and secluded part of the southern section of the Maloti-Drakensberg Park World Heritage Site. Lotheni Resort is well known for its exquisite scenery and tranquil atmosphere. It overlooks the clear, tumbling waters of the Lotheni River which provides several attractions for visitors.
Lotheni resort offers comfortable and attractive self-catering chalets, cottages, and campsites. It can be reached from the N3 via Nottingham Road and is a 3-hour drive from Durban and 6 hours from Johannesburg.
Fully equipped open plan bedroom and kitchenette (with 2 plate stove and small oven), and a separate bathroom.
Fully equipped unit with a lounge/dining room, kitchen, three separate bedrooms and a bathroom.
Simes cottage is a converted old farmhouse situated next to a small trout dam. It has four bedrooms, two bathrooms, lounge/dining room and a kitchen.
Situated 2km from the reception. The campground has 14 campsites without plug points, suitable for tents only and served by an ablution block.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Trout anglers are required to pay a daily rod fee, which can be paid at the reception office.
- Please note that only recognised trout fishing tackle and techniques are permitted.
- Approximately 16 km of the Lotheni River is stocked with brown trout.
- Guests staying at Sime cottage have exclusive use of the stocked trout dam besides the unit.
- Many delightful walks and climbs may be undertaken and there are excursions of this nature to suit all ages.
- The weather can change suddenly and become very cold; also always carry warm clothing
- It is strongly recommended to hike in parties of four or more.
- The Mountain Rescue Register must to be completed before you begin
- Mountain biking is allowed in designated areas.
- Although chilly, swimming in the Lotheni River is safe unless it is in flood.
- There is a very good swimming spot approximately 1 km below the camp at Cool Pools
- Gate opening and closing times are 06:00 - 18:00 daily.
- Due to the poor road conditions, particularly in the rainy season, high clearance vehicles are recommended.
- Electricity is supplied by generator from 17:00 - 22:00 daily.
- No petrol is provided within the resort, Nearest town is Himeville (50km) or Nottigham Road (72km)
- All visitors must check in at the reception office on arrival.
- No pets are permitted.
- Camping other than in designated areas is forbidden.
- Cell phone signal is limited.
- The curio shop at Lotheni supplies some basic groceries.
- All units have fireplaces, wood is not provided, but can be purchased at reception.