Royal Natal – Thendele Resort
Thendele Resort nestles below colourful sandstone cliffs of the Drakensberg escarpment, close to forests of rare yellowwood trees and stretches of Protea savannah. It provides easy and quick access to some of the most splendid mountain hikes, trails, and scenic settings in Africa.
It is located close to the foot of the massive and iconic Amphitheatre flanked by the Sentinel and the Eastern Buttress. The Tugela Falls, 2nd highest waterfall in the world is a stunning backdrop to a picnic.
Fully equipped with an open plan bedroom and living area, separate kitchen and bathroom.
Fully equipped with an open plan lounge and kitchen, separate bedroom and bathroom.
Fully equipped with an open plan living area, separate kitchen, two bedrooms and a bathroom.
Fully equipped with an open plan living area, separate kitchen, three bedrooms and a bathroom. A cook is in attendance.
Secluded fully equipped, self-catering lodge that comprises of a lounge, dining room, kitchen and three en-suite bedrooms. A cook is in attendance.
Mahai Camp is nestled along the Mahai River with magnificent mountain backdrop. The campsite caters for up to 400 campers and caravanners. There are ablution blocks with hot and cold water, a communal wash area. There are 44 campsites with plug points and 40 without plug points.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The magnificent mountain scenery is the main attraction of the Park and kilometres of hiking route. The Park has many well-known peaks and climbing routes, a summary is available at the Park. Anyone intending to proceed to the top of the Berg or to undertake any of the more difficult climbs must first obtain permission from the Officer-in-Charge of the Park and fill in the mountain Rescue Register.
Horse riding is available from Rugged Glen Stables, enquire at reception at 036-4386422
Times and durations of the rides available are as follows:
- Full Day Rides 09:00 – 15:00
- 3 Hour Rides 09:00 – 12:00 and 14:00 – 17:00
- 2 Hour Rides 10:00 – 12:00 and 14:00-16:00
- Pony Rides for Kids 09:15 – 13:15
- Swimming and paddling in the rivers and streams is safe from bilharzia, and a very popular activity.
- Do not swim in the Mahai between the intake weir and the Tiger Falls/Gudu Bush path.
- Swimming is not permitted in any of the dams.
- Trout fishing is allowed, permits can be obtained from the Visitor’s Centre, closed season for the river extends 1 June to 31 August
- The dam is open throughout the year, unless otherwise notified.
- Fishing on this dam is on a “catch and release” basis only which will be strictly enforced.
- Check in time is after 14:00 and must be vacated by 10:00 on day of departures.
- Curio shops at the Visitor Centre and Thendele provide a variety of souvenirs, soft drinks, alcohol and trout as well as a limited range of foodstuffs.
- No pets are allowed into the park.
- Visitors are not allowed to sleep in caves, or to camp anywhere other than in designated areas.
- Entrance gates to the park are open 24 hours per day.
- The nearest towns are Bergville, ± 50 km away and Harrismith, ± 70 km away.
- No portable generators are permitted.
- Laundry facilities are available in the campsite. Laundry may be hung only on washing lines provided.