Umkhuze Game Reserve – Mantuma Resort
Mantuma is the resort serving the Mkhuze Game Reserve section of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park World Heritage Site. It is a four-hour drive from Durban on the N2, a Big 5 game reserve as a typical bushveld protected area.
Mantuma is spread beneath a canopy of shady trees and the resort’s relaxed atmosphere and comfortable facilities are the perfect backdrop to an enjoyable stay.
Fully equipped with an open plan lounge and kitchen, separate bedroom, and bathroom.
Each unit has an en-suite bedroom, with a separate kitchen and dining area connected via a boardwalk.
Open plan bedroom with communal ablution and communal kitchen.
Fully equipped with an open plan living area, separate kitchen, two bedrooms and a bathroom.
Two en-suite bedrooms, with a separate kitchen and dining area, connected via a boardwalk.
Fully equipped with an open plan living area, separate kitchen, three bedrooms and a bathroom.
This eight-bed lodge overlooks the fever tree-lined Nhlonhlela Pan. All units are en-suite and connected by board walks branching out from the communal lounge and kitchen area. A cook/caretaker is in attendance.
Has 35 campsites with hot and cold-water ablutions. All campsites have plug points and electricity is supplied by generator between 05:00 – 08:00 and 17:00 – 22:00 daily.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Evening game drives are conducted in open viewing vehicle, giving visitors the opportunity to see some of the reserve’s nocturnal animals; approximately 2-2½ hours in duration
- Summer: 19:00 – 21:00 (1 November - 28 February)
- Winter: 18:00 – 20:00 (1 March - 31 October)
- This guided walk is ideal for birding enthusiasts and should not be missed.
- The walk is conducted by a field guide and is limited to 8 people only.
- No children under the age of 14.
- Game walks are offered daily and are conducted by a guide.
- Each walk is limited to a maximum of 8 people and are approximately 3 hours.
- Please take precautions against ticks by applying repellents which are on sale at the Curio Shop.
- You are advised to wear comfortable walking shoes. Please do not wear brightly coloured clothing.
- No children under the age of 14 are permitted.
- Summer: Starts 06:00 (1 November - 28 February)
- Winter: Starts 06:30 (1 March - 31 October)
- Summer: Starts 15:00 (1 November - 28 February)
- Winter: Starts 14:00 (1 March - 31 October)
The swimming pool is available for the use of residents only, in the centre of the main camp between the chalets and safari tents.
- Two picnic sites - Nsumo and Mantuma with barbeque and ablution facilities are available for day and overnight guests
- Nsumo Pan offers wonderful opportunities where hippo, crocodile and a wealth of birdlife can be observed from the shade of the giant fever trees.
- Three game viewing hides are situated in the Reserve, kuMasinga, kuMalibala and KuMahlala. Mkhuze
- Game viewing is best in the dry season from June to October, between 7:00 and 10:00.
- Water is provided to Kumasinga Hide.
- Summer : 05:00 - 19:00 (1 November - 28 February)
- Winter : 06:00 - 18:00 (1 March - 31 October)
- Check in after 12:00 on arrival and must vacate by 10:00 on the day of departure.
- No pets are permitted in the reserve.
- No firewood may be collected in the reserve.
- The water is chlorinated and filtered for human consumption at Mantuma. Mineral/spring water is on sale at the curio shop and Rhino-Dine-O take-away.
- Basic food stuffs and a variety of curio items are on sale at the curio shop.
- Unleaded petrol and diesel are on sale at the Resort.
- Visitors are urged to take precautions against malaria before, during and after a visit to the reserve.
- Mosquito nets are provided in each accommodation unit.
- The accommodation complexes are either not fenced or do not have a totally game proof fence surrounding them.
We would be more than happy to help you. Give us a call or email us, and we will get back to you asap.021 8135868